Upon receiving his Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Kashmir, Srinagar in 2007, he joined SMS Paryavaran Limited, a Delhi based infrastructure company for more than a year in the capacity of a Technical Officer. During this tenure, he was involved in design and laying of pipeline of 750 mm diameter water supply transmission circuitry for Srinagar city, a turnkey project funded by Asian Development Bank under Economic Reconstruction Agency of Jammu & Kashmir. In 2008, he went to National Institute of Technology, Srinagar for his Master's degree in Mechanical System Design and later on completed his PhD in 2016 with more than 06 publications in the area of Tribology and Lubrication.
During his PhD studies, he was instrumental in establishing Hydrodynamic Lubrication laboratory at NIT Srinagar. He also presented one of the research papers in an international meeting, on distortion and its control in tilting pads of thrust bearings organised by Society of Tribology and Lubrication Engineers (STLE), at Dallas, Texas, USA, fully funded by SERB-DST (Govt. of India) under Young Scientist (International Travel Grant) scheme in year 2015.
Soon after the completion of his PhD, he joined the Institute of Technology, University of Kashmir in the capacity of Assistant Professor in Department of Mechanical Engineering. Dr Najar is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and corporate member of Institute of Engineers, India. Besides, he is a member of International Association of Engineers and a life member of Tribology Society of India.
His research interests are as under:
- Tribology- Hydrodynamic Lubrication
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Renewable and Non-Conventional Energy
Selected Publications and Meetings
1. Najar F. A., and G. A. Harmain. "Influence on temperature profile in an oil film in thrust bearings using an embedded cooling circuitry beneath the pad surface: An experimental investigation."Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology (2019)
2. Kalavathi G.K, Najar F. A. "Performance characteristics of journal bearings (porous type): A coupled solution using Hartmann number and roughness parameter. "Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology (2019)
3. Najar, Farooq Ahmad, and G. A. Harmain. "Performance characteristics in hydrodynamic water cooled thrust bearings." Jurnal Tribologi 10 (2016): 28-47
4. F A Najar and G. A. Harmain, “Thermoelastic distortion and its control in thin film hydrodynamic lubrication thrust bearings,” in the Proceedings of 2015 STLE Annual Meeting & Exhibition, Dallas, Texas, USA, 2015.
5. Najar, F A, and G. A. Harmain. “Thermal effects for conventional and water-cooled thrust bearing using finite difference method: comparative analysis,” International Journal of Precision Technology Vol 5.1, Pp 14-26, 2015
6. F A Najar and G. A. Harmain, “Numerical Investigation of Pressure Profile in Hydrodynamic Lubrication Thrust Bearing,”International Scholarly Research Notices, vol. 2014, doi:10.1155/2014/157615
7. Najar, F. A., and G. A. Harmain. “Novel Approach towards Thrust Bearing Pad Cooling,” in the Proceeding of GT India, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2014.